Where am I now with my writing. To be honest, I’ve not done much at all. I tried restarting my journaling after Christmas, but have yet to hit my 500 words a day target.
Additionally the blog has been quiet.
So, I’ve updated the blog a bit. I’ve switched back to Scrivener at version 1.9.7 so almost all my content is in there. I’ve not done anything with the novels yet, but will review them in due course to see which one I need to focus on. The same goes for the non-fiction stuff, I really need to focus on a couple of items and get them through the production cycle. As yet, nothing I have done has been through a full production cycle.
Additionally, the full time job is going to remain IT management and so I’m going to revise my business plan for a part time writing career. Career should probably be in quotes, but basically look at how I can put sufficient time, effort and money into developing it as a sideline.
You’ll just have to see how I get on.
I have decided to switch back to Word from Scrivener. This is because at the last upgrade (1.8.5 for Windows), I lost all my quote marks from a novel I’m working on. Sufficiently annoying for me to worry about what else the software had done, and for me to lose confidence in the product.
I had come up from the immediate previous version, and had not done anything as far as I can tell to trigger the change. I also had an odd keyboard issue with the software as well, which wasn’t matching the settings on my PC, whether that was the actual reason for the quotes issue or not I don’t know.
Either way, for now I’m using Word. Doesn’t mean I won’t keep an eye on Scrivener, as I know I’ll lose some very good features in the application, especially the tree structure that helped me write in chunks. Probably test new versions against the last project version of the novel, see what it does.
I used to have my writing content on the www.glidden.org.uk site, but that is now devoted to my main topic of programming. This blog is now going to be used for my writing content, such as it is. This post is just to highlight it’s re-activation.
You will notice that I have been a bit quiet of late. I would like to have said that I was that busy working on my writing that I just didn’t have time to blog.
In all honesty, that is not the case. It is evident that word count targets do not motivate me in the slightest, so I’ve dumped that as a method to get me writing more. Doesn’t mean word counts won’t be in there somewhere, it just appears to me as a big void to fill. As an example, I aimed to write 5,000 words over the weekend, ended up writing 735. I just couldn’t get my head around the story I was working on.
So, what I’m actually doing is having a little think about what I am doing and where I want to go, and will blog about it in due course. It’s not an all or nothing decision around writing, just a need to realistically establish what I can achieve and then make that happen.
Today I am starting an eight week task of logging all the writing work I do, by word count and completed items.
I have created a spreadsheet, one line for each of the next eight weeks, in which I will log the following information.
- Journal words per week
- Blog post words per week
- Fiction and non fiction words per week
- Fiction and non-fiction items completed per week
To me, the main item is the completed articles count, which will be the key indicator of success as a writer, how much can you complete.
Only time will tell. There are obviously other indicators that could be used as well, such as eBooks sold if you have anything published. However, I think this will do for now.
Out of this, I want to measure my commitment to writing, and if that commitment isn’t there to accept that and move on.